Merry Wanderer of the Night + TIME

English Major Grievances (And Others)

Okay, I stole this idea from Hey Lady! Whatcha Readin'? Since it's the holidays and everyone is annoyed but trying to appear happy, I figured I'd just be honest and tell you all what's making me angry! Or not angry, but slightly peeved.

  1. I went to the dentist this morning and now that I'm [almost] twenty I have to start worrying about gum disease. Gum disease! My teeth have always been great. I never had braces and they line up perfectly. I've always loved going to the dentist because it's the only place I know I will receive at least three compliments. Well not anymore! I'm already missing teenagedom.
  2. The word [h]istoric. All my life it has been historic. With an 'h.' A strong 'h.' Now I'm in college and suddenly there is not 'h.' Historic has become Istoric. And what's even worse is that I'm starting to pronounce it that way too!
  3. The world glean. I had never heard the word glean until I came to college. Last semester it seemed to be a favorite word of all my professors. "What do you glean from this?" I glean that everyone is using the word glean to make themselves sound a lot smarter than they are. Glean sounds like something you would clean your windows with.
  4. Split ends. I have never had a major problem with split ends. But then I decided to grow my hair back out and since I have to walk everywhere and Iowa City is fairly windy it is now a major problem. I comb my hair, I swear I do, but after a ten minute walk outside all of that hard work is down the drain. Yesterday I had to make a hair appointment at a completely different hair salon because I was so desperate to get my hair cut. This has had a great psychological effect on me. I am a creature of habit.
  5. Sweatpants. I didn't bring any with me to school and began to regret it greatly when it started snowing.
  6. Professors who say they will do things and don't follow through! One of my teachers said she put our portfolios in her mailbox. I walked all the way to her mailbox (fifteen minutes in the COLD!) and they were not there. I went back four hours later and they had magically appeared. Why didn't she just email us when she put them in there? I also had a professor who said he would email us a response to our papers. Grades have come in, two weeks have gone by, and still no response.
Those are all of my grievances. Thanks for listening.

english major, happy, LIFE, and more:

English Major Grievances (And Others) + TIME