Merry Wanderer of the Night + TIME

Superhero ABC

So as I've mentioned on here a few times before one of my jobs is a reading tutor. I work with struggling readers at an elementary school twice a week. I'm still off right now but I wanted to start my children's book reviews this week. This first book is one of my favorite books to use for tutoring. SuperHero ABC by Bob McLeodis the only book I could get one student to read and enjoy. And I mean quite literally the only book. The student was really interested in video games and superheroes, so as soon as I saw this book I knew it would be perfect for him.

Unfortunately the language is a little difficult for a struggling second grader. the book is divided into two parts. There is the normal story, which is the description of the superheroes. These are all alliterative and fun to say. There are also speech bubbles in the scenes. These are easier to read, so I had my student read those parts and then I read the descriptions. After reading the book a few times he caught on to some of the words as well.

This book has amazing art work and I really enjoyed how interactive the scenes were. I can't stress enough how great this book is for beginning letter sounds! That was something we really focused on. For those of you who don't have kids around to share books with this is still a fun book to check out. I was really into comic books as a kid, so this was a fun one for me too. And some of the superheroes are annoying and fun to complain about. Laughing Lass just happens to be one of my most loathed superheroes.

Pub. Date: January 24, 2006
Publisher: HarperCollins
Format: Hardcover, 40pp

I am an Amazon Affiliate. If you make a purchase using one of my links I will earn a small percentage which will then go back into this blog.

book review, children's books, and more:

Superhero ABC + TIME