Merry Wanderer of the Night + writing

Writing Classes

I decided not to take a writing course this semester because last semester's was productive, but kind of a pain in the ass. I felt like I needed to take a break from writing. I told myself, like everyone does, that I would write even when I thought I wasn't in a class. I have written zero since winter break. And I'll be honest with you, I haven't really missed it until recently. The only thing I've managed to write are lists, which takes me back to high school when lists were the main thing I wrote. I kind of considered myself to be a list essayist. Now I consider myself to be a... writing school dropout?

Last night was the first time I'd written in forever, and it felt so good. It felt way better than it did all last semester, when I was forcing myself to write about ridiculous things that I cared nothing about. I know they say practice, practice, practice and write, write, write. But I hate that feeling of being told to write. I can write shitty stuff on my own thank you. I do it most of the time.

But part of me kind of feels like a failure for not continuing writing. I probably won't take another writing class in college, at least I don't know when I would. I'm pursuing other interests. But does that mean I'm quitting? I'll be honest, I've quit a lot of things. In fact, most things I've started in life I've quit. Band. Choir. Speech. Journalism. Driving (although this is kind of a circumstantial thing). Basketball. Golf. Frisbee. Bass guitar. Okay, this is just getting depressing. And all of those things I regret, at some point, quitting. But honestly, I don't miss any of them. Maybe I don't really know what I'm saying right now. But what I think I'm trying to say is I'm afraid that not taking a writing class means I'm quitting writing. And I don't like that. It makes me feel weird.

english major, LIFE, personal, TIME, and more:

Writing Classes + writing