Merry Wanderer of the Night + TIME

Sunday Salon: The nook
The Sunday Salon.com

Yesterday I actually went out and bought Barnes and Noble's nook. The nook and the Kindle are actually the same price, but right now Barnes and Noble is offering a $50 gift card to anyone who is buying the nook and that was an offer I just couldn't pass up. Plus I liked the fact that I could try out the nook in the store whereas with the Kindle I'm ordering it without trying it. And my local Barnes and Noble is offering a class on Tuesday night for people who want to learn more about their nooks. There are some features the Kindle has that the nook does not, but overall I'm happy with my purchase.

Over Christmas my parents were really adamant that I take another look at e-readers, but I told them I just couldn't give up on having physical books. I just love the feeling of having a book in my hand, turning the pages, and books are my favorite way to decorate. I just love to be surrounded by them. That was all well and good, until I moved out of my dorm last month and realized that my book situation is a little out of control. I had two bookshelves in my dorm room and then I moved back to boxes and boxes of books here. So in May I decided that an e-reader might not be such a bad idea, especially for mass market paperback books that I honestly don't really need to keep. Really most of the popular fiction books I need, I don't need to have the physical book. I still wasn't entirely convinced though, so what made me change my mind?

What actually made me change my mind was a Books on the Nightstand podcast with Melissa Klug who works in the paper industry and the company she works for actually makes paper for books. There was a really interesting exchange between Melissa and one of the hosts Ann Kingman about e-readers and paper in the age of the e-reader. What made me decide that I wanted to get a nook while listening to this podcast was Ann (I think) said there are some books she wants in physical form and some books that it's okay to have in digital format. This probably makes me look kind of stupid, but that comment really changed my thinking about e-readers. This whole time I've been thinking you either read everything on an e-reader or you read everything in book form, but it doesn't have to be that way. You can buy books in physical form and you can have an e-reader for the books you don't want to have forever. Essentially, you can have your cake and eat it too. This was a really exciting idea for me and so yesterday I finally took the plunge. I've had my nook for less than 24 hours so I still have a lot to explore on it. In a few weeks I'll probably post an actual review of the nook so be sure to check back for that.

Just in case you missed anything this week I reviewed Just Kids by Pattie Smith, This Book is Overdue! How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All by Marilyn Johnson. I also did my second post in my Summer Internship series, a May Wrap-Up, and I had a guest post about how to read and review graphic novels. Overall it was a pretty eventful week at English Major's Junk Food so be sure to take a look at what you missed!

I am an Amazon Affiliate. If you make a purchase using one of my links I will earn a small percentage which will then go back into this blog.

e-readers, happy, nook, novel, sunday salon, and more:

Sunday Salon: The nook + TIME