Merry Wanderer of the Night + WG round-up

Weekly Geeks Round-Up: Hoarding Behavior

This week the geeks were asked to assess their hoarding behavior - specifically:

Share with us your habits, tendencies or obsessions when it comes to hoarding behavior.

  • Post a photo (or two or three) of your books to-be-read
  • Share your buying or book accumulating habits - how bad of a problem do YOU have?!?!?
  • Do you keep all the books you've read, or do you give them away or sell them?
  • Can you walk past a bookstore and not go in? If you go in, do you impulsively purchase?
Don't let these questions restrict you...tell us all about your hoarding issues, if only to make the rest of us feel better!
Sixteen bloggers jumped in to reveal their bookshelves, obsessive natures and buying practices. Here are a few:

Bart from Bart's Bookshelf did a photo montage of his TBR books and 'fessed up that he buys about two books for every one he reads. He also laughed at the idea of walking past a bookstore without entering!

Trisha from Eclectic Eccentric showed us an amazing collection of books in her library. She admits she is obsessive (she apparently came home with more than 100 books from the BEA!), but she is working on it - giving away books to her library and getting ready to sell some in a garage sale. Trisha's TBR pile numbers around 535 - whew, I feel better already!

Kerrie from Mysteries in Paradise created an awesome graphic for her Mount TBR (which would provide her with great reading for about 10 years). Kerrie has a great attitude towards her hoarding behavior - she refuses to feel guilty!

Molly from the Restless Reader doesn't limit her hoarding behavior to just books - she collects magazines too. But living in a small apartment in NYC helps her keep things under control!

Zee from Notes from the North stores her books all over the world! She seems to have inherited her hoarding behavior from her parents who apparently have a library in the thousands...

Iris from Iris on Books writes:

My dream, ever since I was a little girl, has been to have a huge library of books when I grew up. And since I started living on my own, I seem to have made an effort to fulfil that dream. I am not quite ready to give it up.
And Melissa at The Blog of Melissa Pilakowski has a great motivation to hoard books:

Unlike my other hoarding obsessions—sunglasses, shoes, office supplies, costume jewelry—collecting books does come with a perk. As a teacher, I get a tax deduction every April for the books I put in my classroom library.
Check out the great stacks of books posted on Erotic Horizon, The Book Coop, and It's All About Books.

All the entries were wonderful - if you haven't already done so, please go visit them (you can find all the links here).

Thank you to all who played along this week - I know I, for one, felt so much better knowing my problem is not all that bad!!

TIME, and more:

Weekly Geeks Round-Up: Hoarding Behavior + WG round-up