Merry Wanderer of the Night + top ten tuesdays

Top Ten Tuesday: Intimidating Books

1. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy I'm going to have to agree with Jamie on this one, this ginormous doorstop is the book I am most scared of. I don't really have plans of reading it right now.
2. Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray I've had this book for about four years and have never gotten around to reading it. It's so long and the language makes me a little sleepy.
3. Middlemarch by George Eliot I had to read this multi-plot 800+ page novel for a Victorian literature class and was terrified to start it. I'm so glad I read it though because it turned out to be one of my favorite books.
4. Speak, Memory by Vladmir Nabokov I wasn't terrified of Lolita when I read it, but the experience of reading it has me afraid of Speak, Memory, Nabokov's autobiography. I read a selection from it for a writing class and was a little dense about some of the imagery. I think I would be able to tackle something like this in a group of people who could talk it out with me.
5. In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust Proust, need I say more?
6. Lady Chatterly's Lover by D. H. Lawrence I've wanted to read something by Lawrence ever since I read How to Read Literature Like a Professor, but I think the book kind of scared me of it at the same time.
7. The Shining by Stephen King I don't read scary books and I've never read anything by Stephen King. Every time I think about this book I think of when Rachel was reading it on Friends and how freaked out she got. I get scared fairly easily so I'm sure I would too.
8. The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris This is basically for the same reasons as number seven, except for I've seen the movie of this and I was terrified for months afterward.
9. The Waves by Virginia Woolf I'm running out of stuff to read by Woolf, but this one I just keep putting off. My professor went into detail about what a challenging book it is and I just don't think I'm ready for it.
10. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez I know a lot of people who loved this and a lot of people who hated it. I know it will be challenging but I also feel like I should read it.

Have you read any of these? Join in the fun or check out other lists at The Broke and Bookish.

novel, silence, TIME, and more:

Top Ten Tuesday: Intimidating Books + top ten tuesdays