Merry Wanderer of the Night + top ten tuesdays

Top Ten Tuesday: Most Dislikable Characters

This week's list at The Broke and Bookish is most dislikable characters. Let's start the hate fest!

1. Penelope from The Luxe Series. Oh boy, I loathe her. This is more like what character to you love to hate. She's so conniving and creatively wretched you kind of have to give her props. She's also a spoiled brat though, and she thinks what is best for herself is what is best for everyone, and that makes her awful.
2. Armadale from Armadale (the one they actually call Armadale throughout the book). The professor I had for this book would argue with me about this, but I just can't stand Armadale. He's so immature, indecisive, and oblivious to the world around him. I found his character really difficult to sympathize with, which is probably why I supported most of the villains in the book.
3. Raskolnikov from Crime and Punishment. I read this book and high school and found it really difficult to get through because I didn't like Raskolnikov. I don't think you're really supposed to like him but maybe you're supposed to sympathize with him. One of my friends said to me, "Well how would you react if you murdered someone?" I didn't really have an answer, it was hard to place myself in his shoes.
4. Howard Roark from The Fountainhead. This is another book I read in high school and didn't really care for. Howard Roark just had no personality in my opinion. He is so focused on his vision that he misses out on the world. I could see the genius in a person like that but I don't think it's someone I want to spend 500 pages getting to know.
5. Luke from The Lightning Thief series. Luke! I'm only through the second book but I was (spoiler alert!) so disappointed at the end of the first book when Luke turns so bad. I thought he was such a nice guy. I don't think Riordan plays up his badness enough though, I wish he made him much worse than he is now.
6. Robert Audley from Lady Audley's Secret. Robert is just an annoying little pansy playing detective. I think Lady Audley could have wooped his ass. "Oh I miss my friend," "Oh I think I'm in love with my uncle's wife," blah, blah, blah. Go read your French novels and sulk on your own time.
7. Orlando from Orlando. Maybe the reason I didn't really like Orlando the book is because I didn't really care for Orlando the character. Male or Female, Orlando is incredibly self centered and a bit unaware of him/herself.
8. Truman Capote in Mockingbird (Harper Lee Biography). Okay, I'm not saying I hate Truman Capote, but in Mockingbird the picture painted of him is not so nice. Harper Lee helped him a lot with In Cold Blood and he basically took his manuscript and ran, leaving her a measly dedication at the beginning of the book. Can you say ugh?!
9. Paul Gauguin in Sunflowers. Another real person, but for 8 and 9 I'm not trying to be mean about the real people, I'm just calling it like I see it from the book. Gauguin was pretty mean to Van Gogh in Sunflowers and I'm not sure how much of it is known or based on fact, but yowza. Gauguin seemed like quite a pig to me, trying to steal other guy's ladies and all.
10. Miss Minchin from A Little Princess. Miss Minchin is so mean! She is the ultimate boarding school tyrant and all she cares about his money. You kind of have to hate her.

So who do you hate?

best, lists, novel, TIME, and more:

Top Ten Tuesday: Most Dislikable Characters + top ten tuesdays