Merry Wanderer of the Night + TIME

Book Review: I Saw You and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

This review is actually two reviews in one. I read I Saw You over the last couple months and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz last month. These two graphic novels could not have been more different, but I enjoyed them both tremendously.



I Saw You...: Comics Inspired by Real-Life Missed Connections

is an anthology edited by Julia Wertz which has short comics inspired by Craigslist's Missed Connections section. It is totally black and white and a couple of my favorite comic artists, Liz Prince and Lucy Knisley, were featured in the anthology. I must say that anthology was a bit hit and miss. The missed connections that actually happened to the comic artists tended to make better comics than the ones based solely off advertisements. It also felt like the same trope was repeated: old creepy guy after hot young girl. It seemed a little too easy. The comics that stood out made this one worth reading, and I love the "Me too!" moments I got when the artists talked about love. I'd say this is one to check-out from the library if you can, unless you're really interested in missed connections like me. If nothing else you'll learn a lot about comic artists you've never heard of before. I'll definitely look for Julia Wertz's look in the future, as her comic (on the cover) was one of my favorites.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz graphic novel could not be more artistically different from I Saw You. Skottie Young's artwork is extremely colorful and detailed. This is one example were the artwork worked perfectly with the story, always the happy medium in graphic novels. I read The Wizard of Oz when I was a kid but I don't remember it too well since I've seen the movie many more times. As far as I can tell the graphic novel sticks with the story of the book. The pictures add a lot though. Shanower is great at combining cute and creepy, which I think describes The Wizard of Oz extremely well. The Scarecrow was my absolute favorite character-- he is totally creepy but in this adorable cuddly way.

My only complaint about The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is it relied too much on the reader's presumed familiarity with the story. I'm familiar with the story and I still felt like there were some plot holes. Overall it's a good story and I felt the artwork added more to the story than the imagines in the film did. Definitely a must-have for any Wizard of Oz fan or anyone who enjoys Tim Burton-esque artwork and storytelling.

I am an Amazon Affiliate. If you make a purchase using one of my links I will earn a small percentage which will then go back into this blog.

anthology, graphic novel, happy, LIFE, love story, nonfiction, novel, and more:

Book Review: I Saw You and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz + TIME