Merry Wanderer of the Night + WG round-up

Weekly Geeks Wrap Up: 2011-9: That Word We Never Use

This week had four parts:

  1. Visit Save The Word.org to look at all the words that are either not being used enough or are due for a cull probably within the next couple of years. Adopt a word.
  2. What is your pet peeve word? – the word that makes you grind your teeth with either it’s over use or being used out of context.
  3. What is a word you adore, or a word that you feel is not used enough. Irrespective of meaning or even era it’s a word that you just loveLastly what is your opinon on word culling or the rise in "text speak" that's happening now..
Several people took on the challenge...

Erotic Horizon hates the word "basically" and the phrase "like totally"... but there are more words she loves including "propaganda" and "giggles."

Naida adopted the word 'Senticous' which means prickly or thorny (I like that word too!). She showed a bit of her romantic side when she listed the following words on her "like" list: Passionate, Unrequited, Adonis, Sweetheart, and Bewitch.

Gigi gave us a wonderful photo collage in addition to answering the questions. She writes:

I’m in favour of words so I have no problem with new and evolving languages. I wish I was better at learning languages as I love to pepper my speech with foreign words but will only do so if I can explain the foreign word or phrase that I am using.
Lit Addicted Brit wrote (in part):

Although I think word culling is sad, I can unfortunately see the purpose. There will always be texts in which you can read the more 'old-fashioned' words and the internet for translating the more obscure. Dictionaries can only hold so much, however, and language must progress. I occasionally encounter 19th century deeds in my day job and am awed by the volume of words used to say the simplest thing! It is elegant and charming but by golly is it hard to make sense of!
Care had a little fun with the word "Satrrify"...she also wrote:

As to text speak? ╰☆╮ I am against all dropping of vowels ✫ for the sake of quick typing-texting. ☆ Then again, I have an old phone and texting is just irritating and I would prefer ☆ to talk or email. (Sigh, I am so old…)
Kristina did not have a pet peeve word, but instead listed some of her least favorite phrases including “it’s a win-win situation” and “just sayin’.”

Quirky Girls Read wrote:

I abhor text speak. I barely like it in actual texts. I write out my words in emails and texts. I find it really scary that characters on tv now are saying things such as OMG! and the like. I am all for the evolution of language, but I’m not really into acronyms and shortening things to nothing. Heck, I’m the person that likes to use a person’s whole name. I like nicknames as terms of endearment; however, I really enjoy the way a whole name sounds and will use it regularly (with the person’s blessing, of course).
And finally, The Diary of a Girl Who Reads Too Much likes the word 'inconspicuous' and is also partial to the word 'chug' (because it's fun to say).

All the participants had a lot more to say about words than I re-capped here ... so be sure to follow the links to read their entire posts!

Make sure to drop by tomorrow for a new Weekly Geeks task!

TIME, and more:

Weekly Geeks Wrap Up: 2011-9: That Word We Never Use + WG round-up