Merry Wanderer of the Night + YA

Review: The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder

I read The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder back in April and I loved it. Like, I really, really loved it. But for some reason, I kept putting the review off. It's now much closer to the review date and I spent a lot of time on Twitter yesterday convincing one of my Twitter friends to read this book. (who absolutely loved it, despite being very wary of the verse style) Because I've spent to much time recently thinking about this book, talking it up to people and convincing them to read it, I thought today would be an appropriate time to post my review.

I honestly don't know where to begin with this book. This book has so much going for it, so many great things about it that it's impossible to identify all of them within the space of one review.

This book is Amber's story and when the book starts, the only thing we know is that it is the day before something huge is to take place. We don't know what, we don't know why or how. All we know is that today is the last day before Amber's life changes forever and she has decided to make this day her own. She writes a note to her family, gets in her car and drives to the beach where she plans to spend the day being by herself and sorting through her emotions. But then she meets Cade. And Cade has a secret too. While reading about him, you just know that there is something more to his day at the beach. Something more that he's not ready to face. He's living today like it's his last.

Amber feels drawn to Cade and he feels the pull as well. They decide to spend the rest of the day together and they both decide that there are to be no questions. They are not to talk about what they are escaping from, and they will just take this day at the beach.

I really enjoy novels in verse and I seek them out. I've read a fair number and I believe I can say that Schroeder has got it going on! She is one of the most truly gifted writers in verse that I have ever read. She knows exactly how much information to give a reader to peak their interest while not giving too much away. She knows the exact balance between suspenseful interest and frustration because we don't know anything, and that scale never tips toward the negative. Her verses are stuffed full of emotion, loaded with feeling and the characters are no longer confined to the pages. They are real to me.

I refuse to give any spoilers away to this story, because part of the magic of this book is the discovery of what tomorrow will bring for both characters. But I will say that what Amber faces is worth the stress she's feeling and it is something that has refused to leave my mind in the two months since I read this book. I find myself constantly thinking about this book and the people in it. I've talked about it many times with family members and with friends, both in real life and online. It won't let go of me. This book has got such a hold on me that I don't think I'm ever going to forget it. This is a book I can easily see myself rereading time and time again.

Lisa Schroeder is an author who has definitely earned herself a place on my permanent I love you shelf. She is amazing and if you have yet to read a book by her, FIX IT!! Fix it NOW!

Oh, and if you are hesitant to read this one because of it's verse style? Just tweet me (@BasicallyBooks) or drop me an email. I'll convince you.:) Take a chance on this author, because I find it impossible to believe you will leave this book disappointed or unmoved.

*Disclaimer: I received this book through Around the World ARC Tours.

art, atypical, basically amazing, Contemporary, favorite, LIFE, love story, novel, poetry, review, TIME, and more:

Review: The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder + YA