Merry Wanderer of the Night + TIME

Memory Monday: Welcome Lauren!!

Today's Memory Monday guest is Lauren, whom I adore! I love chatting with her on Twitter and we've had some pretty rockin' awesome conversations! She's got a great post today so, Here's Lauren!

I'm Lauren, a 20 something college student/bank teller/book addict. I'm an old soul with a thirst for literature and just plain reading for fun. I love my family, my friends, my boyfriend, my dog, and my books. I blog at Ravishing Reads and you can also find me on Twitter as @ravishingreads.

The first book I remember reading that stirred something in me is The Giver by Lois Lowry. Little did I know when I read it, it would be my first dystopian novel, a genre I would later fall head over heels for. In The Giver, Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back. {Summary from Goodreads }

This summary just gives you a snippet of what lies inside. I remember connecting so much with Jonas. When he felt things were wrong, I felt things were wrong. Never had a movie or book had ever made me relate so much to a character before. I remember everyone in my class complaining because it was an assigned book to read. I also remember thinking, "What the heck is wrong with you people?" I honestly think I was the only one in my entire class who read the whole book and enjoyed it. I recently checked it out at the library and reread it for old times sake. I felt like a little girl for about the two hours it took for me to read it. It is geared towards middle grade children, but even now, it still sends a chill up my spine. When The Giver started showing Jonas what the real world held — the pain, the anguish, the suffering — he was spent. But then The Giver showed him what love was. How love and peace conquered all and that was it for Jonas and me. We both knew we had to get out. To let the others know the truth. See, back in the day, me and Jonas we a team. No superhero/crime-fighting outfits. We were just armed with the truth and the ability to change the world. Lois Lowry changed my world. I think that book opened my mind and heart to reading. And my Grandma may have had a little something to do with that as well, she was a high school English teacher. But I will never forget Jonas. And as crazy as it might sound, Jonas will never forget me.

And I just want to give Ashley a special thanks for letting me be a part of her Memory Monday feature. Ashley is completely amazing and I'm so glad I've met her. <3
Aww! Thanks Lauren! I <3 you too!:)

art, dystopia, guest, LIFE, Memory Monday, novel, and more:

Memory Monday: Welcome Lauren!! + TIME