Merry Wanderer of the Night + TIME

Review: The Poet by Michael Connelly

Jack McEnvoy is a crime reporter for a local Denver newspaper. His twin brother, Sean, a homicide detective, is found dead in his car. The cause of death is ruled as a suicide. Jack knows his twin would never commit suicide. He begins to investigate more into the crime scene. A quote was found written on the windshield. The first responders assume it was a suicide note. Afterall, Sean was upset about an emotional case he was unable to close.

Jack takes on his toughest assignment ever and choses to write a story about his brother's death. But with every bit of research he does, the information he uncovers points to homicide instead of suicide. He does a search for homicide detective deaths around the countryand comes up with a handful. Futher research indicates that they all had quotes written somewhere at the crime scene. Jack discovers that the quotes are all from the writings of Edgar Allen Poe. Jack takes his information to the FBI, and soon a search begins for a serial killer/pedophile referred to by the FBI as The Poet. In exchange for the information he's given to the FBI, Jack is allowed to participate in the case. He joins up with the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit and an attractive Agent Rachel Walling. The case quickly picks up speed and Jack becomes closer to the case, the killer, and Agent Walling, than he had intended.

I have to confess..The Poet

is my first Connelly book. Shocking, yes? However, I received a copy of THE SCARECROW thanks to Hachette books and wanted to get my hands on the prequel before I started reading it. All I can say is...WOW! I can't believe I waited so long to read this! Connelly does a stellar job of keeping the reader guessing. I was drawn in from the very beginning. About halfway through the book I thought I knew who The Poet was, but Connelly threw me not once, but twice! It's a book that will grab you and won't let you go. I really liked Jack. He's an average sort of guy, yes, he's a reporter but not one of those that will stop at nothing to get a story. By the end of the book he gained my respect and admiration.

Connelly is now one of my new favorite authors. If you haven't read any of his work, I suggest you do it now!

Note to the squeamish: some of the crimes and crime scenes are described in vivid detail.

LIFE, and more:

Review: The Poet by Michael Connelly + TIME