Merry Wanderer of the Night + young adult

Catching Fire

I am so excited to review Catching Fire

because it means I get to talk about all the things I had to hold back in my Monday review of The Hunger Games. That being said, if you haven't read The Hunger Games yet I wouldn't advise reading this review. Check out the review of The Hunger Games, and then go read it. You know you want to.

When we left the Hunger Games Peeta and Katniss had beat out the Capitol in their sick game. They both won the Hunger Games, which is impossible. When they return to District 12, they both discover things aren't that easy. Katniss realizes she still has feelings for Gale, and let's face it, Gale is kind of pissed that Katniss and Peeta were all lovebirding during the Hunger Games. And maybe he could get past it, if it wasn't for the fact that Katniss and Peeta basically have to pretend they are in love for the rest of their lives if they want to survive the Capitol. (Well Peeta might not have to pretend quite as much. Because Peeta is awesome.)

I loved Catching Fire even more than the Hunger Games, if that is possible. There were so many beautiful moments in this book and I thought the writing was even better. I'll do a few quotes without trying to give anything away. Two of my favorite Katniss quotes fromt his book are "Right before the explosions begin, I find a star" (379) and "I am the mockingjay. The one that survived despite the Capitol's plans. The symbol of rebellion" (387). Ah! Katniss just got even more badass in this book. Katniss becomes so much more confident and daring in this book, even though she faces serious consequences. I won't go into too much detail, but some of the districts are having uprisings and the Capitol thinks Katniss (more than Peeta) is responsible for them.

I finished this book in a ridiculous flurry of emotion. There were so many times throughout the book that I was yelling "No! They can't do that!" I haven't been this sucked in in a long time. For several hours after finishing it I was sitting in my room thinking about it. It probably contributed to my lack of desire to study for the past two weeks. And I think that is the mark of a pretty good book.

Catching Fire earned a freaking A.

I am an Amazon Affiliate. If you make a purchase using one of my links I will earn a small percentage which will then go back into this blog.

book review, the hunger games, TIME, and more:

Catching Fire + young adult