Merry Wanderer of the Night + TIME

Born Standing Up

Confession time: I watched Father of the Bride

and Father of the Bride 2

on an alternating daily fashion for at least one year of my life. I woke up and watched as much of that day's movie before I went to school, then came home and finished it after school, and did the same thing the next day, and the next day, and the next for one year. 365 days. Which means I've seen each movie a minimum of 183 times. I'm honestly not kidding about this. I was around eight when the obsession consumed me. I just loved those movies, and I adored Steve Martin. Mostly because he reminded me of my dad. I'm not a huge fan of stand-up comedy, but I was interested in Steve Martin's autobiography Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life

simply because he had such a huge impact on my childhood, and in turn my life. I read his novella Shopgirl a year ago, so I knew that Steve Martin was a fantastic writer. Within the first ten pages of this book I knew I was in for something great.

Actually on the first page he shines, "My most persistent memory of standup is of my mouth being in the present and my mind being in the future; the mouth speaking the line, the body delivering the gesture, while the mind looks back, observing, analyzing, judging, worrying, and then deciding when and what to say next"(1). I've never been a stand-up comic, but that description instills the fear and heightened awareness he must have experienced every single night. He ends the chapter in a similarly fantastic fashion, describing why this book is a biography and not an autobiography: "In a sense, this book is not an autobiography but a biography, because I am writing about someone I used to know. Yes, these events are true, yet sometimes they seemed to have happened to someone else, and I often felt like a curious onlooker or someone trying to remember a dram. I ignored my stand-up career for twenty-five years, but now, having finished this memoir, I view this time with surprising warmth. One can have, it turns out, an affection for the war years" (3).

The rest of the biography relays the events of Steve Martin's life, and it must be said that the first half of his life covered is rather boring. This isn't really a great biography to read if you want to hear a really interesting, fabulous story about a celebrity. Martin worked at Disneyland, he didn't get along with his father, he liked doing magic tricks. He's different, but not astounding. All of that said, I felt like I knew Martin pretty well by the end of this biography simply through his writing. He can be repetitive, and there were times I wondered why he included the information he did-- but overall I loved this book.

I give this biography an A.

I am an Amazon Affiliate. If you make a purchase using one of my links I will earn a small percentage which will then go back into this blog.

biography, book review, fantastic, LIFE, love story, memoir, nonfiction, novel, and more:

Born Standing Up + TIME