Merry Wanderer of the Night + TIME

Art Books

I was thinking about art this morning because I'm taking an art class next semester and I was driven to look at the art books I have under my coffee table and then write a post about the art books I own. To my surprise, I don't really own any art books. I have Hippie

, which is kind of an art book. I have several books about The Beatles with large photographs. Really the only art book I have is Masterpieces of Modern Architecture

, which isn't even mine, it belongs to my boyfriend. I also have my textbook from art history which has a ton of paintings in it, but they're very small and therefore not really what I think of when I say art book.

But why would I have a lot of art books? They're big. They're expensive. And most of the time they just end up on my coffee table where I look at them once in a blue moon. That being said, I've been perusing for art books this morning and have found some I think I'd like to have.

The 20th Century Art Book (Phaidon)

The 20th Century Art Book is part of a collection published by Phaidon. This collection has other books that span wider times periods and also a book on photography. All of these books look like great overviews and I think I would really enjoy have one or two just for the information and to learn about other artists.

50 Women Artists You Should Know (50 You Should Know) (50 You Should Know)

50 Women Artists You Should Know this is the cheapest book I found about women artists (about $9 in paperback) and from the reviews I saw it looks like the authors provide a good amount of information for each artist. What really interested me in this book (besides the price) is that it includes a timeline of the artists, which I would find useful to see how he chain of influence might have worked. A more expensive book on women artists is Modern Women: Women Artists at The Museum of Modern Art

, which I'm also lusting after.

Georgia O'Keeffe: Abstraction (Whitney Museum of American Art)

Georgia O'Keeffe: Abstraction (Whitney Museum of American Art)

is an example of a single artist book I think I would really enjoy. From the reviews I read this book appears to be extremely well made and durable with a lot of images. It also includes essays about O'Keefe and someone even commented in their review to say the writing was interesting, which isn't true in a lot of art books.

Do you have any art books? Which ones do you enjoy? If you don't have any do you think you would ever buy one?

I am an Amazon Affiliate. If you make a purchase using one of my links I will earn a small percentage which will then go back into this blog.

art, art books, history, and more:

Art Books + TIME