Merry Wanderer of the Night + young adult

Book Review: Bright Young Things

Anna Goderbsen has returned to English Major's Junk Food. After the emotional experience I had during the final book of the Luxe series I knew I had to have any book Godbersen wrote. When Bright Young Things

came out I was having a bad day. I had to go in for a series of doctor appointments and was discovering nothing. My mom and I stopped at the bookstore on the way home and she got this for me as a pick me up. I set the book on my nightstand, saving it for another day. A couple of weeks ago I was having a rough time of it, sick and tired, and I picked up Bright Young Things. I was immediately whirled out of my world of classes, deadlines, work, and responsibility. I sat in my bed and read for hours.

The book follows three 1930's girls in alternating chapters. Letty and Cordelia have escaped their small Ohio town to chase after their dreams. They both believe they were meant for bigger, better things. Letty wants to become a singer and she believes her dreams will come true immediately. Cordelia is a little more realistic about their possibility of success, but her desire to find her real father keeps her going. Astrid is a true New Yorker, though she doesn't live in the city. She lives with her wealthy family and attends magnificent parties with her handsome boyfriend. By the end of the book they have all been beaten down and changed.

I just loved this book. Beginning, middle, and end. It is exactly what I wanted from it. Godbersen's writing has gotten tighter, faster, more thrilling. She takes an extremely predictable story but still gets you to guess what happens next. Even more than that, I felt like Letty, Cordelia, and Astrid became my new friends. They began to fill the void the Luxe series left. Bright Young Things leaves me wanting more, and unfortunately I have to wait several months for the next book.

I'm not going to pretend these books are for everyone, I realize they are not. It doesn't really bring anything new to the table-- but a more well written, consuming young adult story I have not found. Give it a chance.

I am an Amazon Affiliate. If you make a purchase using one of my links I will earn a small percentage which will then go back into this blog.

book review, love story, TIME, and more:

Book Review: Bright Young Things + young adult