Merry Wanderer of the Night + TIME

Day Zero Project: Compost Complete

I've actually checked two more things off my Day Zero list, but the most exciting completion happened today. Jason and I started our compost bin. Originally we planned on building our own, but when we went shopping for soil and lime we saw a 115 gallon compost bin made from recycled plastic. This is way bigger than we really need, but it's something we'll probably be able to grow into. We threw our own food scraps, newspaper, soil, and lime in there today and it's just a little bit from the bottom. Soon we'll collect food scraps from our friends and after a long time we'll create our first batch of compost soil!

Adding some food scraps to the bin.

Our giant compost bin.
Jason and I obviously rent our house, so some of you might be wondering where we're doing this. We actually had some spare laminate flooring that we laid down on our laundry room floor (which is cement) and set the compost bin on. A compost bin is empty at the bottom so you can set it on the ground outside, which we clearly cannot do. There is a drawer on the side of the bin where we can release the compost when it's finished. We'll probably use this soil to grow things and give it to our friends who want some. We're only planning on filling this bin half full right now, but maybe someday we'll fill the whole thing.

And for those of you wondering what else I checked off my list, I got my nose re-pierced. I had it done when I was in high school but let it grow close one summer when I had a job that required me to take it out every day. I also have quite a few projects in progress.

988 days to go, 3% complete!

I am an Amazon Affiliate. If you make a purchase using one of my links I will earn a small percentage which will then go back into this blog.

101 in 1001, compost, Environment, personal, release, and more:

Day Zero Project: Compost Complete + TIME