Merry Wanderer of the Night + TIME

An Open Letter to Meg Ryan

Please excuse this ridiculous blog post. I'm sick and haven't been able to concentrate on much.

Dearest Meg Ryan,

I have seen you in You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle, and When Harry Met Sally at least fifty times each. Whenever I am sick, sad, or confused I turn to you and you always lead me the right way. I even liked you In The Land of Women, which proves that I am a true fan.

Destiny is something we've invented because we can't stand the fact that everything that happens is accidental.

In Sleepless in Seattle you cry openly while listening to a talk radio show. I do this often while listening to This American Life. Half of my Facebook statuses are about me crying during This American Life. You're fearless and make a seemingly stupid decision to reach your destiny. And you reach it. Without this movie's influence I wouldn't have made as many rash decisions but also wouldn't have experienced those moments of pure magic in my life.

Sally Albright: Well, if you must know, it was because he was very jealous, and I had these days of the week underpants. Harry Burns: Ehhhh. I'm sorry. I need the judges ruling on this. "Days of the weeks underpants"? Sally Albright: Yes. They had the days of the week on them, and I thought they were sort of funny. And then one day Sheldon says to me, "You never wear Sunday." It was all suspicious. Where was Sunday? Where had I left Sunday? And I told him, and he didn't believe me. Harry Burns: What? Sally Albright: They don't make Sunday. Harry Burns: Why not? Sally Albright: Because of God.

And who could forget the fake orgasm in When Harry Met Sally? You were clearly not afraid to make a complete fool of yourself and be open about your sexuality. My mom made me watch this in high school to show me that men and women could not be just friends, but the only thing I really took away from this movie was that it was okay to wear my heart on my sleeve.

Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around? I don't really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So good night, dear void.

In You've Got Mail you are constantly on your laptop in your pajamas sending messages to strangers. You love daisies and books. You are my heroine. You say so many wise things.

What is it about you Meg Ryan? What is it about your loose clothing and angelic features that makes my heart sing? You were cast in all my favorite female roles, you've been one of the few constants in my life. My guiding light. So thanks for making my bad days good and making me feel a little bit better about being the overemotional slob that I am.

Sincerely,
Ash

I am an Amazon Affiliate. If you make a purchase using one of my links I will earn a small percentage which will then go back into this blog.

LIFE, meg ryan, personal, and more:

An Open Letter to Meg Ryan + TIME