Merry Wanderer of the Night + TIME

Top Ten Road Trip Songs with author Matt Blackstone

in my blog for a full listing of tour details!! Today I have Matt Blackstone here, author of A Scary Scene in a Scary Movie to talk with us about his top choices for road trip songs! Keep an eye out for more awesome posts from Matt and the characters in the book (including a hilarious look at what Tweets between the two main characters would look like) and my review will also be posted soon. So now, Matt!!

Top Ten Road Trip Songs

#10. "Free Fallin'" by Tom Petty. Every time I hear that song, I think of Tom Cruise as Jerry Maguire, driving home after he thinks he's landed stud client, "Cush" (Jerry O'Connell), the soon-to-be top choice in the NFL. Cruise is cruising down the highway (sorry, couldn't resist), wind in his hair, all his troubles seemingly behind him as he belts out: And I'm Free... Free Fallin'...

Note: "Into the Great Wide Open" by Tom Petty could also serve as #10 on this list, because it's the same exact song.

#9. "It's the End of the World as We Know It" by R.E.M. The beauty of this song is that nobody knows any of the words—except the part where he slows down to say “Leonard Bernstein.” Actually, until I looked up the lyrics a few minutes ago, I thought he said, "Land, Earth, Bernstein," which makes absolutely no sense, but I sang it anyway, from the top of my lungs, to impress everyone with my lyrical skills. I now know that it backfired.

#8. “Wild World” by Cat Stevens. It was a better road trip song when I thought it was called "Wide World" (yes, I also just learned this), but it's still a hell of a song from a guy who went on one too many road trips.

#7. The Beatles. Any song by them. Enough said.

#6. “Regulate” by Warren G. and Nate Dogg. Nobody will confuse Nate Dogg with The Beatles, but thanks to the JCC camp bus, I know all the words:

It was a clear black night, a clear white moon
Warren G was on the streets, trying to consume
Some skirts for the eve, so I can get some funk
Just rollin' in my ride, chillin' all alone

Before you rush to judgment about its placement as #6, consider that it does have a driving component. He was rollin’ in his ride, chillin’ by himself. And then he “hooks a left on the 21 and Lewis”:

So I hooks a left on the 21 and Lewis
Some brothas shootin' dice so I said "Let's do this"
I jumped out the ride,
And said "What's up?"
Some brothas pulled some gats so I said "I'm stuck."

The best part-- — yup, I haven't even gotten to the best part yet of the song-- — is that Warren G. and Nate Dogg sound so different: Warren G. is a Snoop Dogg protégé (and cousin, I think), deep sounding and straight-talking, while Nate Dogg (I know it gets confusing with all the Doggs but follow me here) is high-pitched and melodic and smooth, so you can change voices and pitches along the way.

#5. “Freebird” by Lynyrd Synyrd

Cause I'm as free as a bird now,
And this bird you'll never change.
And this bird you can not change.
Lord knows, I can't change.
Lord help me, I can't change.

Freedom and change. Yup, that bodes well for a road trip.

#4. "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin. I know, I know, it's overplayed, but unlike many of the songs listed above, it has so many twists and turns, low notes, and screeches, and it takes up eight minutes of the trip.

#3. "Under the Sea" by Sebastian (from The Little Mermaid)
Laugh it up... but Da road trip is always greena... with Sebastian

#2. “Sweet Home Alabama” by Lynyrd Skynard. Even if you aren’t headed to Alabama, this one’s a classic.

#1: “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen. Thank you, Wayne’s World, by teaching me (and the other passengers) how to headbang to this song: Galileo, Galileo, Galileo, Galileo... I can’t think of any other song that makes you say, “Hey everybody, here it comes, get ready, get ready, okay... I see a little silhouette of a man... "

Side Note #1: "Road Trippin'" by Red Hot Chili Peppers really wants to be in the top ten list, but it tries too hard. Aside from the title, read these lyrics:

Road trippin' with my two favorite allies
Fully loaded we got snacks and supplies
It's time to leave this town
It's time to steal away
Let's go get lost
Anywhere in the U.S.A.

It’s a bit much. Then again, their name is Red Hot Chili Peppers. Chili Peppers would’ve sufficed, as would Hot Peppers, or just plain-old Peppers.

Side Note #2: Speaking of wordiness, look no further than Sean Combs/Puff Daddy/P. Diddy/Diddy/Diddy Dirty Money for the worst road trip song: “I’m Coming Home.” If you want so desperately to come home, the road trip was lame. Or it was a nightmare (see A Scary Scene in a Scary Movie)

LOVE THIS!! Oh goodness! I'm laughing so hard! I know quite a few of these songs already, but the ones I'm not familiar with are definitely ones I'll be looking up soon! Thanks so much for stopping by today Matt!

And remember readers, don't forget to check out the rest of the tour and check back for my review, to come soon!

art, author, beauty, best, guest, review, and more:

Top Ten Road Trip Songs with author Matt Blackstone + TIME