Merry Wanderer of the Night + TIME

What Keeps Me Company While I'm Reading

A pen! I must always have a pen sitting beside me while I'm reading, but beyond that I need to be alone. Sometimes my boyfriend reads on the couch while I read on my bed, but that is about as much company as I can handle. I even hate reading in the Main Library on campus unless it is completely deserted.

I use a pen when I am reading to take notes and write the names of characters next to important passages, this is the curse of the English major. It actually takes me about one hour to read thirty pages because of this, even though my actual reading pace is more like fifty pages an hour. I usually don't have a pen with me when I'm reading more contemporary stuff though, like graphic novels or historical fiction. This is probably partially because I know I'm not going to write a paper about it.

dewey's readathon, novel, reading, and more:

What Keeps Me Company While I'm Reading + TIME