Merry Wanderer of the Night + TIME

Favorite Classic Novel

For those of you who don't normally read my blog I'll let you in on a little secret: I love classic novels (and really I love Victorian literature). My challenge for you is to think of your favorite classic novel, grab it (or you can look it up online), and find a quote from the novel that makes you love it. If your novel is borderline classic that is fine, this is just a chance for us to share quotes from novels we love and talk about why we love them. You can include some context for the quote if you would like so people can understand why it is so important. If you don't have a quote from the book you can also find a quote from the author, or you can do both!

My favorite classic novel, and actually my favorite novel, is Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. I could talk about this novel for hours, but instead I will just make my post because I know you all have reading to do. I chose three short quotes because, well, because I am bad at making decisions.

It is in vain to say human beings ought to be satisfied with tranquility: they must have action; and they will make if if they cannot find it. -Jane

To live, for me, Jane, is to stand on a crater-crust which may crack and spue fire any day. -Rochester

I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will, which I now exert to leave you.-Jane

These are three of my favorite quotes from the novel and I picked them out as favorites during different times I read the book. The final quote is the first quote I loved in the novel, I found it the first time I read it when I was seventeen. The first quote I found during my second time reading the novel when I was eighteen. The second quote I found just this year when I read the novel as a 19 year old. I explain this only to show the reason I love Jane Eyre: it's a novel that grows with you. Each time I read it I find something new and I find myself becoming annoyed with Jane in different places and sympathizing with her for different reasons.

Finally I'll include a quote from Charlotte herself:

"I'm just going to write because I cannot help it."
You can post this in a comment to this post or in a link to your blog. Happy Reading!

happy, jane eyre, novel, rrreadathon, and more:

Favorite Classic Novel + TIME