Merry Wanderer of the Night + weekend

Sunday Salon: The Carrie Diaries & Summer
The Sunday Salon.com

It is finally finally summer! I didn't think this weekend would ever come, but it's here. No more going to class (although I'm taking two online classes), no more dorms, no more front desk, no more tutoring. Just relaxing and working a little here and there and studying a little here and there. And I finally have time to read. It's been three days now that I've been out of school, and you know what? I already miss it. A lot.

Okay, maybe I don't miss school that much. But I miss Iowa City. I'm finding home to be a little bit depressing right now, with all the people I went to high school with. It's a totally different living situation and I am trying to make the best of it. But I'm going back to Iowa City for a few days now to take an Intro to Archives class before I start my archives internship this summer. I am excited about that!

Yesterday I finally finished Sunflowers by Sheramy Bundrick. It was a really good book and I wanted to finish it a long time ago, but finals got in my way. For the next couple of days I'm going to read Dead End Gene Pool by Wendy Burden and I still need to finish Scrolling Forward by David M. Levy. Other than that, I don't know exactly what is coming up for me to read... but my boyfriend and I went to Barnes and Noble last night and he bought a book that I [sadly] just could not resist.

The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell. I am a huge fan of Sex and the City (the TV show) and I've always kind of thought of myself as a Carrie. When my boyfriend pointed this out to me I knew I had to have it. "Before Sex and the City, Carrie Bradshaw was a small-town girl who knew she wanted more. She's ready for real life to start, but first she must navigate her senior year of high school. Up until now, Carrie and her friends have been inseparable. Then Sebastian Kydd comes into the picture, and a friend's betrayal makes her question everything." Okay so the story doesn't sound that good, but I think I deserve a little indulgence after this hellish semester. Just to be fair to the book world I also got a copy of No one belongs here more than you. Stories by Miranda July. I'll probably be ready both of this coming up, but I also want to read Just Kids by Patti Smith soon, because I've been obsessed with reading it ever since I bought it.

I wasn't so great at updating this week (this is all about to change, I swear!) but I did manage to review The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. I also did a meme about my Reading Habits. I'm still looking for suggestions on what I should do as a regular Thursday post since I don't plan on continuing Children's Book Thursday. One suggestion I've gotten is literary criticism post, specifically feminist criticism (this was possibly sparked by my new blog, Woops Feminism, shameless plug there). I'm interested in any ideas of what you might want to see here. Leave me a comment, tweet me, visit my Facebook fan page! I want to hear your ideas!

best, LIFE, sunday salon, TIME, and more:

Sunday Salon: The Carrie Diaries & Summer + weekend