Merry Wanderer of the Night + young adult

Envy

This review is of the third book in The Luxe series, so it will contain spoilers if you haven't read the first two books in the series. Interested in my thoughts on those? Check out my reviews of The Luxe and Rumors. I still say The Luxe series gets better and better as you go on and Envy

is the best yet in the series. Splendor, the final book is all I have left. I'm trying to savor the anticipation but at the same time I just really want to know what happens next! So when we left The Luxe girls in Rumors Henry and Penelope are married, to the great dismay of Diana Holland since Henry was clearly in love with her. Elizabeth Holland is very sad because her husband and former chauffeur has passed away, and her mother is trying to pass her off to a new suitor so the family can have money again.

Basically everyone is unhappy in this book. Literally everyone is unhappy. And I love Diana even more in this book because she is actually trying to do something about it! I loved how everyone was unhappy because from the outside all of these people seem to have perfect lives, but they're all actually completely miserable and I think that is a great thing to consider. No matter how good something appears from the outside when you experience it, it might not be that great. There were times in the book where she acted stupidly to try and make Henry feel guilty for what he did to her, but what teenage girl hasn't done that before. Honestly, the Diana-Henry-Penelope thread takes up the majority of the book and it was so intense, that at one point when I was reading on my lunch break I forgot my sandwich at the restaurant because I was so upset with Henry. And if that doesn't make you want to read this book, I don't know what will.

The ending is the biggest cliffhanger yet and while part of me thought, "Yeah, I'm so sure that would happen," part of me just thought, "These books are so awesome!" The ending really comes from nowhere, I was shocked by it. You can probably tell by my verbal typing diarrhea that I still don't know what to say about it. I just honestly can't praise these books enough.

I give Envy an A.

I am an Amazon Affiliate. If you make a purchase using one of my links I will earn a small percentage which will then go back into this blog.

best, book review, happy, the luxe, TIME, and more:

Envy + young adult